Saturday, September 17, 2011

Munch's First Impresion on - Riven The Exile

So, I finally got a chance to play League of Legend's New Champion, Riven The Exile. Riven is a Melee Fighter who is designed to be a mobile combo machine. I didn't do very good with her, going 3/11/11 in one game even, but I feel that she has a LOT of serious potential. I tend to judge champions by 3 things

  1. What role is this champions purpose? Are they a Mid-Laner? A Jungler? An Instigator/Initiator? Etc.
  2. How much potential is there for this champion to kill/secure a kill or survive being killed?
  3. How does this champion match up against other champions similar to it?
Riven is designed to play a lot like Rumble, one of my favorite champions. Riven is able to harass, but unless she is truly overwhelming her opponent, she can't secure a kill on her own. I can't see her Jungling OR Solo-Laning well, even though she has no mana and only relies on cooldowns. She is too squishy and can't finish the job without dying as well when she goes in for the kill alone. If Riven IS overwhelming her opponent, she, much like Rumble, will quite quickly overwhelm her opponent and score kills quickly and effectively.

Riven is very mobile, however, after playing her, I do see why they plan on buffing her mobility with her Q ability. It SHOULD be able to help you run, but it's really only good for chasing after people have bought boots. Her AoE Stun is balanced, oddly enough. Normally, AoE ANYTHING needs a nerf, but Riven's is balanced. Her dash could be a little nicer as well, but I won't complain about that, as too much more might make her broken. Her Ulti is generic feeling, but it's actually not half bad. I would say that it needs a buff to it's secondary ability, but not in damage. See, when you proc her Ulti, she then has to wait a second to use the ability. THEN, you have to channel it for another second. I feel that there shouldn't be a wait for the ability, it should be a quick R, R. Keep the channeling, but speed it up. Her passive is nice, nothing too great or too weak, but just right.

So far, I've seen three Rivens. A jungle Riven, which was, frankly, lame. There are FAR better choices for jungling and I can't think of a good reason to jungle as her. I've also seen (and played) an Attack Damage/Crit/Cooldown Riven, which worked WONDERS. It could use a little bit more tank to it, but it's VERY good once it gets going. The one I tend to lean towards is Attack Speed/Attack Damage/Cooldown Riven, which, I feel, gives her more balance. A Frost Mallet almost always guarantees a kill for someone on your team. I also feel that Boots of Lucidity are a must, having even just that gives you amazing cooldown and let's you spam out your abilities.

Overall Riven get's a 8.5/10 from me. Her design is very cool and her story is interesting. She makes for a great bully and is great once you get the hang of her many combos. She's not going to be the #1 in "In-Lane Fighters," but she's definitively in the upper echelon of them. If you have any comments, feel free to add below!

No comments:

Post a Comment